Pages

Monday, 18 June 2012

Not the be-all-and-end-all

I've been given some wise words from several people on several different occasions recently telling me that if my exams don't go well, it's not the end of the world- you can still make your life a successful one. Each time I was told this, I nodded along but inside all I could think was "It would be the end for me!" And it's true that if I completely failed my A-Levels (which I know wont happen) I wouldn't be able to continue on the path I'm wanting to follow at the moment. To study medicine at university you need pretty darn good A-Levels. I couldn't get it into my head that following another path if things don't work out wouldn't really be a failure at all, just another route through life. I am now starting to realise that there are plenty of career options out there that I would love and enjoy that don't require 4 A*s or a top university degree. So to keep in the right mind frame, I came up with a list of people that inspire me who either haven't been to university or have dropped out.

1. Richard Branson- One of the richest men in the world, he left school at 16 and built up the Virgin brand, making him worth billions. While I don't see myself coming up with a multi-billion brand he is without a doubt, very successful. And he has absolutely no A-Levels!

2. Adele- the world-famous multiplatinum singer left school at 16

3. David Karp- Invented Tumblr after leaving school at 15. He is the inventor of the world's biggest procrastination website ever (at least for me!)

4. Ralph Lauren- Dropped out of college after two years and went on to develop the Polo Ralph Lauren brand

5. Julie Andrews- the queen of musicals dropped out of school to pursue her dream

6. Steve Jobs- the founder and CEO of Apple Inc. attended college for one semester before dropping out.

There are so many more hugely successful people who didn't get a degree but these are just a few who have made a difference in my life.

I'm just lucky that the one job I want above all others requires absolutely no qualifications- a heck of a lot of hard work, yes, but no A-Levels. Can you guess what I want to be when I grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment