Pages

Saturday, 15 September 2012

Dancing through life

I had my first ballet class since before summer yesterday and, as always, had a blast. So I thought I would tell you a bit about my dancing history seeing as it is something I love so much.

I started dancing when I was three years old after seeing my sister do it for a couple of years and always wanting to join in. I have always gone to The Joanna School of Dance and it is one of my favourite places in the world. I started off with ballet before quickly adding tap and modern. I took exams right from the start and always did pretty well. I got my first competition dance when I was six. It was a modern solo to a song from Aladdin and it was adorable and great fun. At first I didn't win any medals but I was hooked on competing. Gradually I got more and more dances. Most were solos but I also had various duets, trios and troupes over the years. Along the way I started picking up medals and trophies. I just loved being on stage and it showed in all of my dances.



At the studio I took endless amounts of classes and also took part in the biannual extravaganza shows. At one point I was going to dancing every single day of the week. Through my dance school I got parts in big stage productions and lots of audition opportunities that have given me a great amount of life experience.

As I got older and school life got more intense I cut down on the numbers of hours I was dancing, focusing on my technique classes. There was still plenty to focus on as I was always working toward high level exams.

Obviously and very sadly I had to take a break from dancing at the start of my recovery whilst I was in hospital. I have been gradually been easing back into it, not wanting to take on too much whilst doing those little things called A Levels.

But today I went in and had a lovely chat with my dance teacher and signed up for loads of classes. I am very excited to say the least. I can't wait to get back into it regularly and have it as something that I do each week. I am also looking forward to getting some of my flexibility back and improving my technique (my turnout keeps going MIA in ballet!) But most of all I can't wait to get back into seeing my friends regularly and being a part of the awesome, if slightly dysfunctional, family that is JSD.

No comments:

Post a Comment