Pages

Thursday, 27 September 2012

Working girl...

...not like that you dirty-minded people!

That title is referring to the fact that this has been what I would call my first full-time week at Starbucks (I've had odd shifts but never on consecutive days). Add to that the fact that it was Freshers Week and you may be able to imagine my current state of exhaustion!

The sudden increase of customers has, however, greatly improved my barista-ing skills. I am now pretty efficient with the beverage routine (what order to steam milk, cue espressos and finish drinks in when you have a big, long, never-ending queue of drinks), know where almost everything is on the till and know how to clean out and rebrew the machines. I would now happily call myself a barista. Don't get me wrong, there is still an awful lot to learn but I have got the basics down pretty well.

A new experience this week has been working in the Starbucks in GSA, down at the bottom of the campus. This is great fun, although the time drags a little more as it is much less busy. It's pretty entertaining because the lobby is filled with performing arts students who will be practicing dramatic scenes and dances or randomly break out into song. There are some really great, if slightly eccentric, characters and it is fun to be able to get to know the customers a little better.

A new love of mine is making frappuccinos. They are just so enjoyable to make. I'm looking forward to next week as we're bringing in two new flavours: Spiced Pumpkin Latte, which is coming to the UK for the first time, and Salted Caramel Mocha. I am now feeling very confident in what I am doing and love the rush I get when it's busy and I'm under pressure to make things!

No comments:

Post a Comment