Pages

Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Per-omise

Oops, wrote this a while ago but forgot to publish! Here goes:

So my recent life has been taken up by three things: work (which I have touched on and doesn't really change so I'm not going to talk lots about it today, dancing and Brownies.

In dancing, alongside my now-regular grade and technique classes, I was drafted into a tap troupe that my dance school had done in a couple of shows. It had been entered into the Tudor Rose dance festival (a preliminary round of the All England dance competition) which had an upper age limit of 21, meaning two girls couldn't do it. I happened to be there on a day when my dance teacher had been planning to redo it and was asked to step in. I had three rehearsals before the festival, over three weeks. It was intense and I had to pick it up quite quickly which I was a little out of practice at, but I spent a lot of time practicing and by the final rehearsal was getting the hang of it.
The festival came around on Sunday and as it was my first competition in so long, both of my parents came along to watch. We all did ourselves up in our full stage makeup (think orange faces, false eyelashes and bright red lipstick) and donned our pretty purple and black tap dresses. Our hair was all french-plaited into a bun so that we looked as similar as possible. We practiced a few times in the changing room before being called down to the stage. We waited in a little side room and had a quick pep talk. And then it was our turn.
It went brilliantly and I had an absolute blast. I am quite definitely readdicted. We came 2nd with 86 marks, qualifying for the next round. I came out of it buzzing!

In Brownies, I turned up to our meeting, completely unaware of what was going to happen apart from the fact that I was going to make my promise as a leader. The Adventure On girls had planned my promise celebration all by themselves and it was a complete surprise to me. Once they had finished making their Halloween wreaths, the celebration began with beautiful cupcakes with trefoils, brownie flowers and hearts on them. Then we had a big game of pass the parcel, with each brownie opening a layer and then me getting the final layer. The prize was a gorgeous scrapbook that they'd put together for me with lots of messages and drawings. I almost cried right there, it was so so sweet. We then got into the circle and I was taken up, in the same way that new Brownies are, to make my promise. We all saluted and I recited the words, feeling very proud to become a leader for such an amazing bunch of girls. I love Brownies because of the feeling I get when I see the girls smiling or laughing or even wiping away tears and feeling a bit better. Knowing that I've given such wonderful, creative, kind little girls a good time is so rewarding and so much fun for me too!

I apologize about the lack of recent posts but I'd rather post meaningful, interesting things not quite as often than post pointless ramblings every day! I just hope the interesting things get a bit more frequent!

No comments:

Post a Comment