Pages

Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Brum brum brum

I had my interview for Medicine at Birmingham University yesterday. It was a new system called the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI). I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about it as I was one of the first to be interviewed so I don't want to give it all away to those still waiting. Here is a bit of information from the website:


Interviews are organised in a multiple mini-interview format. You will participate in four separate, short interviews, lasting 6mins each. This will allow you to start afresh at each mini-interview. A range of your personal attributes relevant to studying medicine will be assessed by means of different tasks. Interview stations are designed to assess aspects such as: motivation for medicine; communication; self-insight; ethical reasoning; scientific understanding and interpretation.
The four stations will be:
Data Interpretation: You will be presented with the findings of a study and asked to interpret and discuss these.
Motivation and Insight into Medicine: You will be asked to discuss specific aspects of your work experience.
Dealing with personal and ethical challenges: Through thinking about your own experiences and an ethical problem, you have the opportunity to demonstrate personal qualities important for coping in a demanding career.
Interactive Task: This is a role-play station. You will be expected to achieve a task through negotiation with the role-player (who will be a medicine student).
The system was intense and felt a bit like speed-dating on Red Bull! The beginning and end of each 6 minutes was signaled by a whistle in the corridor and we had two minutes outside of the rooms to read information for the next one. The interviewers had no idea about who we were. They didn't know our names let alone what was on our UCAS/personal statements. A lot of people found the role-play the hardest and while that was quite pressured, I actually found the personal and ethical challenges the hardest.
Overall I think it went ok. I didn't make any diabolical mistakes that made me flounder around which was good. It is hard to tell how you've done so I'll just have to wait for the results.
I got my BMAT results today and unfortunately I didn't do so great in that but never mind. What's done is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment